Discovering your Type
Isabel Briggs Myers suggested an alternative to the idea that, every human being is a deviation from the ideal version of “a normal person”. She believed we are born with our natural talents or strengths and we have different preferences when using our minds and values in our daily process of living.
Awareness of type helps us to improve our self-understanding, to better understand others, to manage our energy and talents better and to value the strengths of others even if they are different. In addition, it may improve our communication with others, and our conflict management.
By attending this program, the attendee will:
- Improve their Self & Mutual Understanding. Knowing one’s type gives insight into one’s motives, behaviors and interaction with others.
- Improve their Communication skills. Personality type, may explain many differences, problems or misunderstandings. Sometimes we feel we are not able of explaining to others what seems absolutely clear for us. In these situations we might feel our feelings are not appreciated or that our logical reasoning is misunderstood.
- Understand what is stressful for them and how to get back to equilibrium. Sometimes, when we are ill or extremely tired we react in an uncontrolled manner, and sometimes we find there are situations that unconsciously provoke our anger. It is as if “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” lived inside us. Awareness of type gives us the relief of understanding that these reactions are normal, can be explained and in some way they are predictable.
- Learn about Conflict management. Each personality type tends to play a different role in conflict, and also tend to react to it differently. Some of us prefer to deal with conflict avoiding it, some of us prefer to collaborate and make an effort to find win-win solutions, some tend to accommodate, some try to listen to what everyone has to say, and some need to find the way out quickly. Therefore, awareness of type in conflict may give us a hint of which our strengths and which steps we forget to deal with when involved in a conflict.
By attending this program, students will:
Source: MMTIC Sample Reports. The chemistry of Personality – Elizabeth Murphy
- Learn that a person’s psychological type is a profile of his or her preferred ways of being.
- Understand their Strengths (what is easy for them to do), and Stretches (what it takes more work) of their Personality Type.
- Appreciate the normal differences that exists among people:
- There are different ways of learning, making friends, playing or organizing work and play and living with others.
- All types are smart, all can do a great job and all can make mistakes
- Accept, you cannot choose your strengths and stretches as you are born with them. However, all of us can choose our behavior.